Thursday, December 28, 2006

cheat sheet #1 - short crop with long hair!?

I always thought bambi had the look down sqwat. Let me translate, I've always been in love with the short, cropped hair paired with big doe-like eyes rimmed with dark liner and mascara look. What better way to accentuate the eyes, show off the neck and collar bone, and look demuringly trendy all at the same time?

Admittedly, Miss N.Richie as featured in the January '07 issue of Allure is not asian but tada~ Ayumi Hamazaki (J-pop star) did it way before and I've adored this look since HS, and THAT was a long time ago. But after a solid year of intense long-mane obsession within the fashion and media world, I, too, now have long hair and I'm not willing to chop it off just quite yet... I'm also still pathetically enjoying my new found skill that I've always been jealous of when the popular girl in front of my seat in middle school would skillfully secure her long hair with just a pencil/pen/piece of stick...

So today, I trotted to the Stephen Knoll New York salon on Madison Ave to get the ultimate cheater's version of the short crop. Under the talented hands of Hikaru, my beauty accomplice and hair stylist extraordinaire, I asked for a simple trim in the back, keeping the length, but with a lot of heavy layering on the top layers of the head, volumnous side swept bangs and shorter strands framing my face so that when I pulled my hair up and away, I looked like I had a short crop. The shorter layers stay out of the knot in the back, falling all around the head and in flirty layers around the face and the heavy bangs add texture to the cut, bringing the focus forward and to the eyes. Follow the eye-lining tips and poof, sexy bambi.

A few tips:

1. Add texturizing wax to the roots at the crown of the head to add movement and texture to the shorter strands. Try Stephen Knoll Solid Wax or Polish for a soft, touchable texture that keeps a natural hold all day long without any buildup.

2. Try a high-count, short bristle, pad-style brush to tweak out the shorter strands away from the pulled back hair. They only catch on to the top layers of the hair and not the longer layers on the bottom so it's much easier to create a volumnous, short bob look and keeps you from having to tie and retie hair over and over again. Try the must-have staple Mason Pearson brush in their largest size made of only boar bristle rather than nylon bristles.

3. For an evening-kitten look, pin-up the long strands in the back, pull out just enough of the shorter top layers from the back with a thin comb or a sharpened pencil to cover the pinned-up strands and tease the comb towards your head at the crown so that the shorter layers create a volumnous pouf.

Accessarize with chandelier earrings or big, single-drop earrings for a classic look and colourful resin or lucite hoops for a mod-Twiggy look. Alexis Bittar earrings.

xox