Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Eye Lining Part 2 for Double-Lid Eyes


Around the age of 16, either the baby fat melted away from my eyes or I just became perpetually sleepy...(see previous entry on my eye-lid morphing story), both my lids folded naturally. Now, I only get the single lid after, shhh, a night of heavy drinking, yikes! (Bikram Yoga btw is the best solution to depuffing your entire body the next day.)

Once I changed gear, I faced another dilemma that many of my asian girl friends have - the liner transfering to the upper fold of the eye lid, making a second line a little above the eye! This frequenly happens with a liquid liner that has yet to dry and throughout the day with thicker pencil liners.

I was on a hunt for a product that delivered the long-lasting effect of the liquid liner AND the speedy precision of a well sharpened eye lining pencil and oh, the every so dependable Bobbi Brown & brush extraordinaire Trish McEvoy became my all-time heroines.

For day & night: Dip Trish McEvoy's infamous brush #11 which has a precision brush tip just wide enough to catch every curve of the upper lids right at the lash line, into Bobbi Brown's Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner, coating both sides of the tip and swiping off the excess clots on to tissue (I like to use the side of the pot, I'm that lazy, yes, but it works). Then hold the brush perpendicular to the lashline, and gently pulling up the lid slightly to get a precise aim, touch the edge of the brush to the edge of the lid, almost on top of the lash line, and move from the inner corners to the outer corners, dabbing the entire way, not sliding across. The product quickly dries and becomes transfer resistant so it doesn't get onto your upper lids even if you sneeze!
www.bobbibrowncosmetics.com
www.trishmcevoy.com


Extra-tip to open up small double lid eyes: Make the line thicker just above the pupil. The extra darkness makes the pupil look darker and bigger while accentuating the whiteness that surrounds it, creating a round-eyed look. Same goes for mascara on the upper lids - concentrate on getting the most length out of the middle lashes right above your pupils (and below) as well as the last two or three strands at the outer corners of your eye.

Lower lashes: Do not line the entire lower lash with dark liner unless you have huge eyes (you lucky bum!). Use a frosty creme or frosted pastel colour to line the inner corners of the lower eye lid and the darker liner used above the lid for the outer half of the lower lid. (<-- I wish I could sketch this...it sounds like a logic question doesn't it? I'll work on the visuals.)

For the lower lash inner corners, use a very powdery sheer shimmer shadow with a thin tip applicator so that it acts as a light high lighter instead of going on too obviously. Try Stila's shimmery pastel shadows in pale pinks, blues, cremes and mints or the all in one Glacier Ice palette which has all my fave accent colours to complete the basics of eye makeup! Sephora

xox